New trends in the dental industry pop up every year, and 2019 is no different. Research shows that the coming year will be filled with exciting in-office and digital dental trends, including new technologies, improved business practices, and new ways to optimize the patient experience — and even robo-dentists.
Read on to learn about the latest dental practice equipment and business operations that dental practices are implementing this year to save time, increase patient volume, and streamline operations.
Top 8 Dental Industry Trends in 2019
- Dental 3D Printers 3D printers are revolutionizing dentistry and orthodontics by helping to drastically reduce time and costs associated with the production of custom aligners, tooth replacements, veneers, and crowns. In-house 3D printers also decrease the dependency of private practices, on third-party labs and companies that typically design and develop these products. Hiring a specialist who can successfully manage and handle the equipment will eliminate this reliance and save you thousands of dollars long-term. Same-day dentistry, thanks to 3D printing, will ultimately enable you to earn more revenue by taking on new patients and increasing client retention with faster appointments, and less time waiting for dental items to be created in-house.
- Natural Dental Products Going green is a popular trend across all industries, especially in the world of personal and professional healthcare. As consumers increasingly opt for more natural products like charcoal toothpaste and bamboo toothbrushes in their personal lives, the incorporation of natural oral hygiene products within your dental practice will be a necessity moving forward. Rid your inventory of artificial dental products made with unnecessary chemicals, in exchange for natural alternatives with healthier, more sustainable and less-abrasive ingredients.
- Digital Impressions Digital impressions are eliminating challenges, like cracked or deteriorated casts, that have consistently frustrated dentists and patients over the last few decades. While computer-aided design (CAD) and computer-aided manufacturing (CAM) software aren’t new to the dental industry, the prevalence of these programs will continue to grow as more practitioners gain access to this technology. If you’re still using wax molds and clay casts to take impressions of your patients’ teeth, it’s time to upgrade your equipment in 2019.
- Laser Dentistry Laser technology is one of the many dental trends that’s taking the field by storm for various reasons. Its wide array of uses include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Whitening teeth
- Removing tooth decay
- Preparing the tooth’s enamel for the receipt of filling
- Reshaping the gums
- Removing bacteria during a root canal
- Eradicating lesions Benefits of Laser Dentistry Dentists choose laser dentistry because of distinct benefits that make the procedures go more smoothly, and also reduce discomfort and healing time for patients.
- Patients are less likely to require sutures
- Anesthesia may not be necessary
- The laser will sterilize the gums, making infection less likely
- Less damage to gums shortens the healing time
- Patients lose less blood than traditional surgery
- Dental Group Practices Individual dental practices are on the decline, and group dental practices are on the rise. Treating patients in an efficient and time-friendly manner is more important now than ever before. Eliminate the increasing costs and challenges associated with owning and managing your own practice by joining forces with other trusted professionals in your area. Creating a joint practice with other skilled practitioners is one common, simple, and effective solution, especially if you’re interested in keeping your business running post-retirement. Also consider building a universal dental group which covers all types of dentistry, including general dentists, orthodontics, endodontists, and oral surgeons.
- Improving The Patient Experience No matter how new and updated your technology may be, patient experience is the ultimate factor that will directly impact the success of your practice. All patients seek access to better, more affordable healthcare and an excellent experience with their healthcare providers. Review your current patient experience to see how you can optimize the strategy from the moment someone visits your website and schedules an appointment to the time they pay their bill and walk out of your office. Offer special deals or loyalty programs that emphasize patient value, and make the process easier to check in, check out, schedule appointments, process credit card payments, and more.
- Automated Patient Tracking & Management Software Digital automation technology benefits your team and your patients by streamlining, organizing, and reducing daily processes both in and out of the office. Here are some of the many ways to save time by automating and simplifying your workload and patient responsibilities:
- Text appointment confirmation notifications
- Pre-recorded follow-up appointment voicemails
- Online patient portal creation
- Scheduled social media posts and digital marketing efforts
- In-house form submissions via handheld tablet
- Digital data collection and organization via cloud-based storage This article provides a great example of the ROI you’ll gain by using Digital Dentistry.
- Robot Dentists Artificial Intelligence (AI) & Robotics Dental technology has officially reached new heights in 2019. Artificial intelligence (AI) in dentistry will transform the way dentists work and patients receive treatment, especially with the introduction of robo-dentists. Robots are now able to perform minimally invasive dental work, like filling cavities, teeth cleaning, cap applications, and tooth extractions. Although robots aren’t currently accessible for more invasive procedures, recent success in China involving dental robotics are a good indication that AI dentistry may become mainstream in the dental space by the end of 2019.
Upgrade Your Dental Practice Today
New dental equipment can be expensive. But upgrading your practice with new technology can help you save thousands of dollars in capital in the long run, and help you take on more patients faster.
Whether you want to launch an individual practice, build a group dental practice, or upgrade your office technology and equipment, National can provide you with the finances you need to make it happen.
Explore our selection of dental practice loans that can get you the funds you need in as little as 24 hours.
Complete our 60-second online application or call (877) 482-3008 to apply and get started so you can incorporate these 2019 dental industry trends into your business growth strategies, and stay ahead of the competition.